3.23.2009

to chuck or chunk?

we have had a bit of disagreement between us northerners and our southern friends regarding the usage of chuck or chunk as a verb referring to throwing/flinging/tossing an object.

english was not my first language, but regardless i have learned that the word chuck was a synonym for throw. however, our southern friends have pointed out that we pronounce the word incorrectly. it really should be chunk. really? chunk?

here are the definitions offered for chuck from dictionary.com. and here are the definitions offered for the word chunk. if you notice, dictionary.com states that chunk is possibly a nasalized pronunciation of the word chuck...hmmm...

anyone else heard of the word chunk used in the same way as chuck? which one do you use?

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I think it's definitely chuck and our dear southern friends just talk funny :o) (seriously- ask the Brewers to say the word "billfold"- it's like billfoe- so cute- and they don't even use "wallet") I love them anyway though and think it's so neat how unique we all are.

Prasti said...

it's endearing the way they pronounce some words. i'm glad we can all laugh about it (and walmart...lol!).

Connie Krebs said...

Ah yes.... our dear friends who are constantly picking at our wording... I say chuck as in "chuck that stick over there". I totally agree with Melissa that they just talk funny...and love the Walmart! =)

(That is one of my NY habits: putting "the" before places. "You just take a right at the Target and then you will see the Home Depot")

Tabitha Blue said...

Haha, I've NEVER heard chunk used to mean throw... but definitely chuck can mean that. You are right my dear friend. And that was great for a laugh. Chunk? Really? That's what I though too!

:)
~Tabitha~

freshmommyblog.com

SarahHub said...

We chuck here. I've never heard of chunk like that - chocolate chunks maybe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails